Of these death and funeral notices in the papers, the most dramatic, to me, is the account of the blinds being drawn along Kirkgate and the Market Place for his funeral. Henry latterly lived at Belgrave Terrace, Sowerby, so the route was along Westgate; through the Market Place and along Kirkgate.
He is reported as variously a vice-chairman or vice-president of a range of organisations. The nominal president or chairman in those cases was usually his own brother.
DEATH OF THE CLERK OF THE COURSE OF THIRSK RACES.--On Thursday night, Mr. Henry Smith solicitor, Thirsk, a gentlemen greatly respected, and who was also well- known by reason of his long official connection with Thirsk Races (Having beeen formerly for a considerable period a member of the Race Committee, and of later years has acted in the capacity of clerk of the course), died somewhat suddenly. Deceased suffered from an affectation of the heart, and had not been in robust health for the past two or three years. He was admitted as a solicitor in 1875 and has held several important public offices in Thirsk. He had been clerk to the Thirsk Burial Board since its formation in 1878 and from 1880 to the time of his death he had been agent to the Thirsk estate, for his brother, Mr. Reginald Bell, J.P., the lord of the manor. He was a past master of the Falcon Lodge of Freemasons, a vice-president of the Thirsk Institute (in connection with which a few years ago he took an active part in promoting a series of interesting agricultural lectures), and had been secretary for the Thirsk National School for 17 or 18 years. Mr Smith was the local solicitor for the Licensed Victuallers Association and formerly acted in the same position for the Wath and District Conservative Association. When the Thirsk Parish Church was undergoing restoration many years since, the deceased was secretary to the Restoration Committee, and he at one time acted as secretary to an agricultural society and a horticultural society connected with the town. Mr Smith was 47 years of age and leaves a widow and son and daughter.
FUNERAL OF MR HENRY SMITH OF THIRSK
On Sunday afternoon the remains of this highly respected gentleman were consigned to rest in the graveyard of the Thirsk Cemetery, in the presence of one of the largest companies which we have seen gathered in Thirsk for some years to pay the last sad earthly tribute to the dead. Mr Smith was well known in Thirsk and district, for he had held more public offices than any inhabitant had held during his lifetime. He was admitted as a solicitor in 1875 and was clerk to the Burial Board since its inception in 1878. He was for many years a prominent member of the Board of Guardians of the Thirsk Union for Thirsk, and was after the retirement of the late Mr Quinton Rhodes, vice chairman. He was agent for the Thirsk Estate on behalf of his brother, Major Bell, of Thirsk Hall. He was one of the trustees and managers of the Thirsk Infant School, was a manager of the Thirsk Savings Bank and a member of the committee of the Thirsk Cricket Club. He was a past member of the Falcon Lodge of Freemasons in Thirsk, and at his funeral the brethren walked in procession. He was vice-president of the Thirsk Institute, and took an active part in promoting a series of agricultural lectures in connection with it. He was for upwards of 20 years the secretary of the Thirsk National School, and was for many years churchwarden. He was the second son of the Reverend T (sic) Smith, vicar of Horndale. Throughout his life he took a keen interest in all matters appertaining to the turf, and it will be remembered that when reports got into circulation some years ago that the Thirsk Spring Meeting was going to share the same fate as that of the neighbouring town of Northallerton, and be struck off the list of racing fixtures, Mr Smith came to the fore to uphold the the meeting, and he threw such zeal into the work that he speedily in addition also established an autumn re-union. Mr Smith's climax of success as a clerk of the course was reached two years ago when H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, then the guest of Capt. Vyner of Newby Hall, Ripon, honoured both days of the Autumn Meeting with his presence. For the very excellent arrangements for his visit Mr Smith received the thanks of His Royal Highness. Mr Smith was a breeder of thoroughbreds, and occasionally ran them in his own name at the Yorkshire meetings. amongst the best known being Lady Altyre and Aggy Agnes, but his best brood mare was Lady Crakehill. He regularly sold his young blood at the sales held at York and Doncaster, and some useful youngsters are now in his stud. Mr Smith's body was enclosed in a shell and a polished and panelled old English and light oak outer coffin with massive brass furniture, and risen shield, on which was engraved-"Henry Smith born April 9th, 1850; died September 2nd, 1897," which had been made by Mr Richard Harker of Thirsk, he having also the entire arrangements of the funeral. On the coffin were placed beautiful floral wreaths and crosses. a cross from Mr. A Fitzherbert, "In affectionate rememberance;" a wreath from Mr and Mrs R Bell. Thirsk Hall.
Now the labourer's task is o'er,
Now the battle day is past;
Now upon the farther shore,
Lands the voyager at last
A cross "From a loving wife and children;" a cross from Dr. R. Hartley, Wisbourne Grove, London; a cross from
Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Hyam, Fairholme House, Sowerby, Thirsk; a cross from Miss and Mr.
W.W. Hall. Fleece Hotel, Thirsk; a cross from
Mrs.J.T. Dodswoth, Villa Place, Sowerby; and a beautiful wreath from the Brethren of the
Falcon Lodge of Freemasons, Thirsk, made by Mr Smith, of the Nurseries, Thirsk which was carried by the tyler in
front of the brethren in the funeral procession. the whole of the blinds of private houses were drawn as the
funeral cortege passed through the market place and down Kirkgate from the deceased's late residence
to the gates of the Parish Church, where the remains were met by the Rev J.C. Hanson, vicar, who read the service.
The grave was on the southern side, and was beautifully decorated with evergreens and white dahlias and asters by
Mr. R. Wardman, head gardener to Major Bell, The Hall, Thirsk. The chief
mourners were:- Mrs Smith, widow;
Mr Fred Smith and Miss Smith, son
and daughter; Mr. and Mrs. R. Bell, The Hall, Thirsk, own brother and sister
in law; Mrs. A. Fitzherbert, sister of the deceased;
Mr. J. Bell and Mr. F. Bell,
Thirsk Hall, nephews; Mr. and Mrs. Fred Lancaster, brother in law and
sister in law; Miss Smith, Sowerby, cousin(sic). The police arrangements
were excellent under the direction of Inspector Cook and Sergt. Shields, and perfect order prevailed throughout.
The funeral was attended by the majority of the Thirsk Bench of Magistrates, the whole of the legal and medical
profession in Thirsk and district and the tenantry on the Thirsk estate. The following is a list of bearers being
workmen on the home estate:- Messrs. H. Lofthouse, C. Grainger, R. Wardman, J. Whythead, J. Harland, R. Norton,
W. Morrell and Cornell; and the following is a list of the principal persons attending the funeral:- Masonic brethren,
F.W. Kemp, master; F.R. Hansell,
Dr. Longford, Mr. Z. Wright,
Dr. Buchanan, Messrs' W.W. Hall,
H. Masterman, C. Greensides, G. Ayre,
A.W. Cass, J. Rymer,
Sergt.-Major Rawlins, Mr. J. Farmery and Bro. Wilson, a visitor
from West Hartlepool; Major Mott, J.P., Kilvington Hall; Col. Lees, Thirsk; The Rev. T. Stimpson, Thirsk;
Mr. C. McC. Swarbreck, solicitor, Thirsk;
Mr. J. Rhodes, solicitor, Thirsk;
Mr. W.R. West, solicitor, Thirsk; Mr. J.S. Richardson, solicitor, Thirsk;
Mr. A.W. Cass, solicitor, Thirsk; Dr. Hartley; Dr. Ferguson. Councillors
F. Foggitt, W. Foggitt, Jno. Wright,
H. Pearson, T. Rymer, R.T. Tennant, Ferguson, C. Greensides, Geo. Davison,
Geo. Wright, R. and W. Johnson, Geo. Rutherford, J.T. Dodsworth,
C.M.R. Knaggs, M. Neesam, T. Appleton, T. Spence, T. Wood, J. Thompson,
Geo. Anderson, Alfred Lee, J. Wrightson, G. R. Manfield,
Thos. Rutherford, M. Westwick,
Robt. Lee, T. Barnett, R. Coverdale, E.B. Peat, Mr. Bagley, Rd. Pearson,
Jno. Rose, Mr. Passfield, T. Smith,
R. Long, T. and
Jas. Rymer, T. Seavers,
W.J. Horner, Hy. Horner, R. Richardson, H. Ayre,
J.R. Goodrick, Robt. Holyday, Mr. Fynch, T. Stokes, E. Reed, Geo. Harker,
N. Scott, W. Pattison, F. Welburn, J. Ward, Chas. Trueman, W. Allanson,
Mr. Bruce, W. Ruecroft, Jas. Mullens, Jas. Tones, Geo. Kitson, A. Wright, H. Ridsdale, R. Varley, Thirsk;
J.H. Greenhill, Thirsk Lodge;
Wm. Barley, Abel Grange; Mr. Robinson, Sowerby Parks; J. and T. Sketton,
Woodhill Fields and Woodhill Close; W. Wright, Sandhutton; T. and J. Pick,
Newsham; Mrs. R. Illingworth, E. Milnthorpe, Robt. Atlay, R.A. Gilling,
H. Gilling, H. Watson, T. White, J. Kendrew, R.A. Fawcett, T. Jackson, W. Appleton, Mr. G.H. Hyam, Fairholme House;
Mr. T.G. Parker, sowerby, &c.
At Salem Congregational Church on Sunday evening, The Rev. T. Stimpson made a touching reference to the sad event, and in expressing the sympathy of the church and congregation with the family of the deceased, remarked that the man whose burial could command so large a following had not lived his life in vain.
At a meeting of the managers of the Thirsk National School, held on Tuesday, the following resolution was unanimously passed :- "The managers desire to convey to Mrs. H. Smith their sincere sympathy with her in her bereavement, and to express to her their sense of the obligation the school is under to Mr. H. Smith for his interest in the school, and the constant trouble he has taken to promote its welfare."
Funeral of Mr. Henry Smith.- The funeral of this highly respected gentleman took place yesterday afternoon in the graveyard of the Thirsk Cemetary. Being a Past Master of the Falcon Lodge of Freemasons in the town the brethren held a special service in the lodge previous to the funeral. Many members of the Thirsk Bench, the whole of the legal and medical profession in the town and district, and the tenantry of the Thirsk Estate, for which the deceased had been so many years agent, were present. The body was carried by workmen on the Thirsk estate and the officiating clergyman was the Rev. J.C. Hanson, Vicar of Thirsk.
THE LATE MR HENRY SMITH OF THIRSK.
With very marked tokens of
esteem and regard the remains of Mr. Henry Smith, whose death was reported in our last issue, were consigned to rest
in Thirsk Cemetery on sunday afternoon. The funeral was one of the most largely attended has been for some years.
Deaceased was the second son of the Rev. Thomas Smith, formerly vicar of
Handale (Cleveland), his elder brother being Major Bell, the present lord of the manor of Thirsk. The whole of the
blinds of the houses in The Market Place and Kirkgate were drawn during the time of the funeral, the cortege
being headed by members of the Falcon Lodge of Freemasons (of which deceased was a Past Master), the tyler carrying
in front a beautiful wreath. The chief mourners were Mrs Smith (widow),
Mr Fred Smith and Miss Smith (son
and daughter of deceased), Mr and Mrs Bell, Thirsk Hall (deceased's brother
and sister in law), Mrs Fitz-Herbert (sister),
Mr John Bell and Mr Fred Bell
(nephews), Mr and Mrs Lancaster (brother in law), &c., while among the
the large company who followed were many of the Thirsk Bench of Magistrates, the whole of the legal and medical
profession in Thirsk and sowerby, a large gathering of the tradesmen and residents of the town, tenantry of the
Thirsk estate &c., the numerous assemblage including Mr Edmund R. Turton,
Upsall Castle; Major Mott, Kilvington Hall; Col. Lees, Mr R.A. Gilling,
Mr Alfred Lee, Mr H Watson, Mr H Gilling, Mr R Atlay, Mr J.T. Dodsworth,
Dr Hartley, Dr Ferguson, Dr Buchanan,
Dr Longford, Mr C Mc C. Swarbreck,
Mr John Rhodes, Mr W.R. West,
Mr. A.W. Cass, Mr J.S. Richardson,
Rev T. Stimpson, Mr Z. Wright,
Mr F.R. Hansell, Mr W.W. Hall,
Mr Geo. Ayre, Mr G.W. Kemp, Mr C. Greensides, Sergeant-Major Rawlins,
Mr W. Foggitt, Mr F.A. Foggitt,
Mr C.M.R. Knaggs, Mr R. Pearson, Mr. R. Long, Mr S.H. Ingham, Mr G.H. Hyam,
Mr Thos. Jackson, Mr T. Rymer, Mr T. Ferguson, Mr Geo. Dowson, Mr Jno. Wright
Mr R.T. Tennant, Mr R.A. Fawcitt, Mr J.H. Greenhill,
Mr T.&.J. Pick, Mr W. Barley,
Mr Jas. Appleton, Mr Geo. Anderson, Mr H. Masterman, Mr R. Illingworth,
Mr R. Holyday, Mr E. Reed, Mr T.J. Lynch, Mr K. Milnthorpe,
Mr Jos. Skelton, &c., &c.
The remains of deceased were enclosed in a polished old english and light oak outer coffin made by Mr Harker of Thirsk, who had the carrying out of the funeral arrangements), having massive brass furnishings with risen shield, onwhich was engraved:-Henry Smith, born April 9th 1850; died September 2nd 1897. Upon it were placed beautiful floral tokens of regard:- Cross, "From a loving wife and children"; a wreath from Mr and Mrs R Bell, Thirsk Hall; a cross from Mr Alleyne Fitz-Herbert; a wreath from Mr and Mrs G.H. Hyam, Fairholme, Sowerby; a cross from Mr W.W. Hall and Miss Hall, Thirsk; a cross from Dr Reginald Hartley, Westbourne Grove, London; a cross from Mrs J.T. Dodsworth, Villa Place, Sowerby.
The cross was borne by employees of the Thirsk Home Estate, and the first portion and the first portion of the funeral service was carried out in the Parish Church by the Vicar, Rev. J.C. Hanson, who also officiated at the graveside, the body being interred in a double grave, which was beautifully decorated with white dahlias and asters.
At one time or another probably no man had held more public offices in the town than did the late Mr Smith. He was admitted as a solicitor in 1875 and was clerk to the Thirsk Burial Board since its formation in 1878. He was for many years a prominent member of the Board of Guardians of the Thirsk Union and after the retirement of the late Mr Quintin Rhodes, was vice-chairman. Since 1880 he had acted for his brother, Mr R. Bell, J.P., as agent of the Thirsk Estate. He was one of the trustees and managers of the Thirsk Infant School, and had been secretary of the National School for nearly twenty years. He was a manager of the Thirsk Savings Bank, and at the time of his death a member of the committe of the Thirsk Cricket Club. He was vice-president of the Thirsk Institute, and some time ago was a church warden of the Parish Church. When the former Thirsk Agricultural Society held its show on the old Cricket Field, Mr Smith was for a while secretary and he also filled a similar position for the Horticultural Society. He had also been local solicitor for the Licensed Victuallers Association, and for the Wath and District Conservative Association, and many years ago was secretary for the Thirsk Parish Church Restoration Committee.
Mr Smith took a keen interest in matters appertaining to the turf, and it will be remembered that when reports were in circulation some years ago that the thirsk Spring Meeting was going to share the same fate as that of the neighbouring town of Northallerton and be struck off the list of racing fixtures, deceased came forward not only to uphold the Spring Meeting, but entered into the matter with such energy that now Thirsk can boast of two race gatherings annually instead of one, and at the Autumn re-union two years ago, when H.R.H. the Prince of Wales honoured both days' meeting by his presence (being the guest of Captain Vyner, of Newby Hall) the deceased was thanked by his Royal Highness for the very excellent arrangements made for his visit. Mr Smith was a breeder of thoroughbreds, and occasionally ran them in his own name at yorkshire meetings, amongst the best known being Lady Altyre and Aggy Agnes, and his best brood mare was Lady Crakehill. He regularly sold young bloodstock at the annual sales held at York and Doncaster, and the racing community, especially those in the north, will learn with sorrow of his death.
At a meeting of the managers of the Thirsk National School, held on Tuesday last, the following resolution was unanimously passed:-"The managers desire to convey to Mrs H. Smith their sincere sympathy with her in her bereavement, and to express to her their sense of the obligation the school is under to Mr H. Smith for his interest in the school, and the constant trouble he has taken to promote its welfare."